Gift Aid

What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid is a simple way for our Scout Group to increase the value of your donations and subscriptions to the Group if you are a UK taxpayer.

How does Gift Aid work?

When a UK taxpayer gives a gift of money to a charity they have already paid tax on that money. Because charities are generally exempt from tax, they can claim an amount from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) equal to the tax paid on that money by the donor.  This repayment is known as Gift Aid.

How much is Gift Aid worth to our Scout Group?

By asking donors permission to reclaim the tax they have paid on their donation, we can increase the value of that donation by one quarter, i.e. for every £1.00 paid as a subscription we can claim back 25p making it worth £1.25 to the Group. In the tax year 2012-2011 we reclaimed £3289.00 but only had about 75% of those paying subscriptions signed up to the scheme. Whilst in the 2011 – 2012 tax year we reclaimed £4012 of a possible £5043 which is just under an 80% success rate. However we want to do even better, it is through reclaiming this money we have managed to avoid raising subs for the last few years!

Why are Gift Aid Declarations important?

A donor must have paid enough tax on their income before a charity can claim it. It is important that HMRC can verify the connection between our tax repayment claim and the tax paid by the donor. In other words, every claim must be supported by a Gift Aid Declaration that shows who paid the tax in the first place.

Gift Aid Form

Some Frequently Asked Questions:

Q         Is a Gift Aid declaration complicated
A         No, it is very simple and only requires that you declare that you want your subscriptions to be treated as Gift Aid payments.

Q         Do I have to complete a separate declaration for each of my children in the Group?
A         No. One declaration covers all payments you make in respect of their subscriptions.

Q         Will I have to reveal any personal tax information?
A         No.  All that is needed is very basic information including your name, address and confirmation that you want your Subscriptions to be treated as Gift Aid.

Q         Will it cost me anything extra?
A         No, the Group will simply claim back tax that wold otherwise have gone to the Inland Revenue. We can then use this tax to reduce the impact of subscription increases.

Q         What will I have to do in the future?
A         Nothing, once you have completed the declaration this covers your child(ren) until they leave the Group. You need only notify the Group if you change name, address or are no longer able to confirm the details on the declaration.

Q         What happens if my child changes Section?
A            Nothing, as the Gift Aid declaration is not in respect to a specific sum but merely the subscription, however much that will be.

Q         What happens if I stop paying tax?
A         If you stop paying tax or have paid insufficient tax to cover the amount the Group will be claiming back you should inform the Scout Group and they will not make a claim for your payments.

Q         What happens if my child leaves the Group?
A         As  there is no legal commitment in a Gift Aid declaration the Group will only claim back the tax on the payments you made before the child left the Group.

Q         If I am a higher rate tax payer can I claim back the extra tax?
A         Although the Group can only claim back tax at the standard tax rate, higher rate taxpayers can claim the difference back as tax relief on their self-assessment  forms.